Kin Theory Database Website
1. What types of information do we collect?
Kin Theory collects different types of information when you use our Website or that you give us in any other way. You may choose not to provide certain information, but you may not be able to take advantage of the Website services and features.
- Anonymous information. We may collect “anonymous information” from you when you use our Website. Anonymous information is information that does not identify you directly, and may include, for example, statistical information concerning how you and other general users use our Site or information that is linked to a cookie ID or other ID that is not paired in our records with your name, phone number, or email address.
2. How and when do we use your collected information?
The privacy and protection of your information is important to Kin Theory. The information we collect is used to better tailor the features, performance, and support of our services and Website. We also screen submitted forms for potential risk, spam, or fraud.
We use your contact information, such as your email address, to send alerts/newsletters, bulletins, e-announcements, and other communications concerning Kin Theory, Kin Theory’s services, or related notifications. We may also use your contact information to invite you to screenings of Indigenous media, events, or other functions we believe may be of interest to you. You may choose not to receive these types of communications, as discussed below in the Opt-Out section.
3. Who can access your collected information?
With the exception of vendors providing hosting, database management, and development services related to the operation of these Websites, we do not share, disclose, sell, rent, or otherwise provide personal information to third parties for the marketing of their own products or services.
We may share your information pursuant to valid legal process, such as for law enforcement purposes or to in special cases when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, contact, or bring legal action against someone who may be violating Kin Theory’s Terms and Conditions of Use or may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) Kin Theory’s rights or property, other Kin Theory Website users, or anyone else who could be harmed by such activities.
4. How can you opt-out of communications or change/remove your information?
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications. If you receive alerts, invitations, or other electronic communications, we will provide you with the ability to opt-out of receiving these communications. Instructions for opting-out will be provided either (a) with each such communication, or (b) in a prominent location on our Website.
- Cookies. Cookies are small data files that are stored on your device from our Website server so that our Website server can identify your browser software when you visit the Website. If you do not wish to receive cookies through our Website, you can change the settings on your browser to notify you before you receive new cookies or to refuse to accept cookies.
5. What are the methods we use to protect your information?
Kin Theory uses security software to protect the confidentiality of your personal information. Our business practices are reviewed periodically for compliance with policies and procedures that govern the security and confidentiality of our information. Our business practices limit employee access to your personal information, and limit the use and disclosure of such information to authorized persons. Please be advised, however, that no data transmission or storage can be completely secure. While we take all reasonable measures to safeguard your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you provide to us.
6. How do we protect children’s privacy?
No part of our Website is directed to anyone under the age of 13. We do not seek to collect or maintain information from those we know are under the age of 18. If you are under 18, you may use this Website only with the involvement of a parent or guardian. If Kin Theory learns that we have collected personal information from a child under 13, we will either (a) delete this information from our databases in accordance with our deletion procedures; or (b) obtain verifiable parental consent in accordance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
8. How do you provide consent to the collection and use or your information?
9. How can you contact Kin Theory?